Assistant Director of Youth Ministry
Title: Assistant Director of Youth Ministry
Full / Part time: Full Time, 40 Hours
Parish and Opportunity Overview
St. Mary Catholic Church is a large and still growing suburban parish consisting of over 6,000 families in the Diocese of Rockford, Illinois. This Parish offers the opportunity to evangelize and reach teens and their families in unique and creative ways, working together with a talented and dedicated team of staff members, priests, and youth ministry core team. The Assistant Director of Youth Ministry is responsible specifically for Confirmation Preparation and all Youth Ministry retreats, trips, and special events, working together with the Director of Youth Ministry to schedule these events as well as executing all other regular youth ministry events. The Youth Ministry Staff at St. Mary’s includes three people – the Director of Youth Ministry, the Assistant Director of Youth Ministry, and the Youth Ministry secretary. This office is an active, creative, and collaborative environment constantly growing as the parish seeks to reach our young people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Youth Ministry Mission Statement:
We the Youth Ministry of St. Mary’s in Huntley proclaim the life-changing love of God in order to lead young people to a deep, lasting relationship with the Person of Jesus Christ and His Church.
- Work collaboratively with Pastor, Youth Ministry and Parish Staff, and core teams to assist in crafting and executing a vision for the evangelization and discipleship of all young people in the Parish
- Lead the regular function of Confirmation Preparation for 9th Grade Students and retreats and trips including, but not limited to, the Youth Summit, Jr. High Retreat, Winter Retreat, Jr. High Lock-In, Summer Camp, and Steubenville.
- Work closely with the DYM as he/she leads and executes all aspects of the Life Teen Program and all aspects of the EDGE Program
- Operate as an integral part of the team in the Youth Ministry Office, helping to serve in a collaborative way to form core teams, develop a vision, plan a calendar, and create a prayerful and creative environment in which to see God’s work happen in the lives of young people
- Attend and help lead regular youth ministry and parish staff meetings as well as Diocesan and other youth ministry meetings and formation experiences, as needed
- Respond directly to Director of Youth Ministry in conjunction with Pastor
- Work 40 hours per week, including regular office hours, with flexibility in the schedule for weekend / evening events as communicated with Pastor and Director of Youth Ministry
Attributes of Ideal Candidate
- Prayerful, committed to a deep and personal relationship with Jesus Christ from which flows all of his/her work and efforts in evangelization, and first and foremost is the place from which he/she finds their identity as a son or a daughter of the Father
- Organized, hard working, and creative
- Able to communicate well both in writing and in speaking, whether with adults, young adults, or teens
- An in-depth understanding of Youth Ministry and the teachings of the Church, and a commitment to living faithfully in light of the doctrine of the Catholic Church
- Some professional experience in Youth Ministry in parish or other setting as well as a degree in Youth Ministry or related field
- Commitment to continued personal, spiritual, and professional growth
- Flexible and able to work in creative and different environments, as needed
What we Offer
- Full time salary with benefits
- A creative and exciting work environment, working closely with a dedicated parish staff and youth ministry core team
- A work schedule of daytime hours Monday through Thursday, with evening hours on Sunday, Monday, and as needed, as well as flexibility as needed around evening and weekend events
How to Apply
If you believe you would be a good fit for our team, please submit a resume and cover letter to Maggie Overbeck, Director of Youth Ministry, at email@example.com.