Life is a journey and we are here to walk with you. Confirmation is all about asking the important life questions and learning to listen to God’s answers. We are going 100% virtual this 2020-2021 confirmation season. Our platforms will still allow us to meet you where you’re at and discuss the things that matter most.
We know that there are many tasks involved in going virtual. If you have any questions about the following information, please email Melissa Garduno, Coordinator of High School Ministry, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To proclaim the life-changing love of God in a way that is accessible and helps lead young people to a deep, lasting relationship with the person of Jesus Christ and His Church.
Confirmation preparation is a year “by which ‘the baptized are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed'” (Catechism of the Catholic Church 1285).
*Confirmation prep is a one year program for those who are in 9th Grade or above.*
Registration Is Now Open
The deadline is Monday, September 21, 2020.
Click here to register for the confirmation season of 2020-2021.
Our confirmation retreat will begin on September 1, 2020. The longer you wait to register, the more your student will have to catch up! See the retreat details below.
Virtual Parent Meeting
We want to start the year out right and make sure everybody is on the same page regarding this key event in your teen’s life. We will host a video webinar to give you an overview, dates, and expectations. At least one parent from each family must attend one of the two webinar options. The same information will be covered at both. An email with the webinar instructions will be sent in the weeks prior to the meetings. Please ensure that we have the most current emails for you when you register.
We look forward to meeting you!
Virtual Confirmation Retreat
Students will kick off the year with a virtual retreat. Each confirmandi student must attend the retreat to complete the confirmation program. We believe that in-person retreats are most beneficial, however, this is a great virtual alternative.
When: The retreat will be available on September 1, 2020, and must be completed by September 30, 2020
How: We will send you an email invitation to join the retreat. The retreat does not require you to download any programs or software. You can use any device to access the retreat: desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile phone.
Time Commitment: Each student will have the entire month of September to complete the retreat. Don’t wait until the last minute! You will be stressed and we don’t want that!
- Students will receive three 20 minute videos per week for four weeks. They must watch each video to progress to the next.
- There will be check-in questions at the end of each video.
- There will be daily reflections sent out as well.
- Guardians and I will be able to track the progress of each teen.
Virtual Confirmation Prep Sessions
(2020-2021 School Year)
- All prep sessions will be recorded videos distributed on the first of every month beginning in October and ending in April.
- Confirmandi students will need to respond at least once each month to an on-line discussion board. Discussions will relate to the video content.
- All videos and discussions will be managed through Google Classroom. Each teen will need a Google account to access the program. Once your teen has created a Google account, please fill out the following form so we have the correct email address associated with your teen’s Google account. This can be a parent or guardian’s email address, however, it is the teen who will be using this account to access videos and discussions.
- Fill out Google Account Form HERE.
Sponsors are not required to attend the virtual confirmation retreat.
They will still be involved in this journey with their confirmandi. We encourage the sponsors to watch the confirmation videos and schedule times to meet with his or her confirmandi student to discuss the video content. Discussion questions will be provided.
Once a sponsor is chosen, by October 1st, that sponsor will also need to have a Google Account and participate in a sponsor’s only discussion board. This will be a great opportunity to help our sponsors respond to their call of accompanying the confirmandi student in his or her faith journey.
Upon creating a Google Account, the sponsor must complete the following form with their Google Account email address click here
Sponsors will also be asked to attend a sponsor’s only virtual meeting on October 20th at 7 pm. This will be recorded for those who are unable to attend live.
We will work with you to make up a late or incomplete session if family emergencies or other completely unavoidable events arise. However, if a confirmandi student has more than one incomplete prep session, then he or she will be asked to wait until the following year to finish confirmation prep and receive the sacrament.
All dates are subject to change. If this happens, we will communicate this as early as we can.
In addition to the Google Account form, two forms must be completed for the administration of the Sacrament. These forms need to be filled about by each teen on-line. Baptismal certificates must also be submitted.
Form 1: Confirmation Sponsor (due October 1, 2020)
- Each person who will be confirmed in the Catholic Church chooses a sponsor for confirmation. This sponsor must be:
- At least 16 years old
- Confirmed in the Catholic Church
- A practicing Catholic (practicing means he or she is a member of the parish, attend Mass on Sundays, and has an active faith) who is a good example to you of what it means to be a follower of Christ and someone who will challenge you to follow Him in your own life
- He or she cannot be a parent of the student, but may be (and is encouraged to be) the baptismal Godparent
- Pray about your sponsor and ask your parents who you think would be an encouraging leader of faith for you.
When you are ready, click here to fill out the Sponsor Form.
Form 2: Confirmation Saint Form (due December 1, 2020)
- Each student chooses the name of a saint in the Catholic Church to have as his or her patron saint in confirmation
- This is someone who you ask to pray for you, and whose example you imitate
- Really take some time to pray about which saint’s name you would like to choose! If you need help finding a saint, feel free to contact our office!
When you are ready, click here to fill out the Saint Form.
Baptismal Certificate (due January 15, 2021)
Each candidate must provide a copy of his/her Baptismal Certificate to the Confirmation Ministry Office before January 15th, 2021. If your student was baptized at St. Mary Church, it is not necessary to provide a copy of the Baptismal Certificate, only the date of the Baptism (you will be able to provide this information with registration). If you are having trouble finding the baptismal certificate, please call us and let us know.
If your student was not baptized here at St. Mary a certificate may be obtained by calling the church where your child was baptized and asking for a copy of the certificate. If you wish and the baptismal church allows it, the certificate can be mailed directly from the church of baptism to St. Mary Church.
Students who were baptized in a country other than the United States of America should start the process of obtaining a certificate now.
If you have difficulty obtaining a new certificate, please contact Melissa in the Youth Ministry Office at (847) 669-5612, and we will do our best to assist you in finding this. Confirmation Rehearsal is mandatory and will take place within 1-2 weeks of the date of Confirmation. You can see the details for the Confirmation Mass and rehearsal at stmaryhuntley.org/confirmationdetails.